Wednesday, July 06, 2011

The Plan

On Tuesday I had an ultrasound to check fetal growth as part of my gestational diabetes. Baby Ben is measuring quite large now - 8lbs 3 ozs which places him in the 95th percentile. His belly is measuring the size of a 41 week baby!! Luckily his head isn't measuring as large, but the doctors do worry about the shoulders dislocating when he passes through the birth canal.

So far, my blood pressure has been really good and my sugars have been somewhat manageable. My meds keep going up each week which stinks. And my swelling has been increased to the point where my hands / fingers are numb more than 50% of the time. So I'm hanging in there as best as I can.

But the doctors thankfully agree that enough is enough and it may be time to bring baby out into the world. Next Thursday or Friday (I'll be 38 weeks) they will check Ben's lung maturity via amniocentesis and as long as that okay, they will induce me that evening. There's the possibility that I may go into labor on my own prior, but if not, it feels good to know we have a plan.

6 comments:

Emmy said...

I love a good plan, especially one that involves meeting a baby! :)

Suzi said...

I hope he comes on Thursday! It's my birthday & I'd love to share it with him!

Anonymous said...

8lb + baby naturally is totally do-able. OK was 8.4lbs. Her head measured 41 weeks at my 40 week ultrasound and she came 9 days after that. She did not have a big noggin at birth.

Good Luck!

Molly P. said...

A plan is good stuff! Can't believe it is so close! :) :) loveyou

Kelly, David, Nathan & Kadence said...

Wow, nothing better than a chubby healthy baby! I guessed the 15th for Ben's birthday, fingers crossed!

Sara M said...

Guess your plan went out the window! Sometimes you need a good plan to kick things into place. :)