A few days ago I found some old pictures while digging through basement boxes. I had a huge envelope of pictures from my visit to the Grand Canyon in June of 1997. If you haven't been there, it is definitely worth seeing in person! (But you already knew that) I will say that I recall being a bit under-whelmed by the amount of things to do there. There isn't much - just stare at the canyon and hike. (And if you know me, hiking isn't big on my list of favorite activities!)
Apparently I was much more adventurous / outgoing / crazy when I was 23. Aren't we all.... This picture shows me after I climbed over the safety railing and ventured out onto an outcropping of rocks 7,000+ feet in the air. What this picture doesn't show is the pure fear I am feeling as I am shaking, convinced that a strong wind will blow me over the side into the canyon. I can honestly say that given the same opportunity now, I'd pass.
This picture is pretty cool - me hiking along Bright Angel trail and notice in the immediate background there is a mountain ram just doing his thing. It was really cool to see up close. Snakes aren't the only dangerous animal on the trails....
I was always proud of this picture since it looked like a postcard to me - just nature at her finest.
Apparently I was much more adventurous / outgoing / crazy when I was 23. Aren't we all.... This picture shows me after I climbed over the safety railing and ventured out onto an outcropping of rocks 7,000+ feet in the air. What this picture doesn't show is the pure fear I am feeling as I am shaking, convinced that a strong wind will blow me over the side into the canyon. I can honestly say that given the same opportunity now, I'd pass.
Yep, that's me way out on that rock! My companion leaned over the side to take the shot which is why there is all the brush in the foreground. I did feel more safe once I was back up top, even though many places don't have rails!
This picture is pretty cool - me hiking along Bright Angel trail and notice in the immediate background there is a mountain ram just doing his thing. It was really cool to see up close. Snakes aren't the only dangerous animal on the trails....
I was always proud of this picture since it looked like a postcard to me - just nature at her finest.
And this picture is of Arches National Park in Utah; we stopped here on the way from Denver to the Grand Canyon. A really neat place. 

That honestly was one of the coolest things I ever did - drive across Colorado, down Utah and into Arizona. Parts were really desolate - signs that say "cattle crossing next 120 miles" are common. Ha! And maybe one day I'll tell you the story of how my traveling companion (an ex-boyfriend at the time, which made for some awkward moments) put a full 15 gallons of diesel gas in our rental car and I was convinced that we'd break down in the middle of no where with it being days until we were found. If I hadn't broken up with him prior, rest assured I would have by that point!
Now my adventures consist of mostly pretend trips with Barbie and my daughter, or an exciting trip for diapers. Times sure do change.
2 comments:
Awesome pics. I'll have to dig up some of my old ones, too, just for fun. I have never been there but would love to go. And I'd like to hear more about taking a trip with an ex-boyfriend -- that had to be interesting!
The Grand Canyon is on my list of places I would like to visit. As much as I have traveled, I have yet to see it!
Your photos are great, and I'm so impressed with how brave you were! What cool memories of rule-breaking. ;)
I can only imagine all the fun stories you must have of traveling with an ex. How funny. I love it.
Post a Comment