Monday, October 16, 2006

Thoughts on parenting

While what I am about to say is probably obvious to most parents... holy cow are kids hard work! I say that with great love and admiration for parents. This past weekend Dave and I watched our niece who is 1 and nephew who is 5. And they are angels - really they are. They make it easy for us, but even "easy" was "hard" for two unsuspecting adults!

Friday we watched them so my brother and Kelly could go out for a night on the town. When they came home at the end of the evening, more than just the kids were asleep! Dave and I had passed out in the living room. These kids are so well behaved, but they need constant
stimulation and attention (as any kids would). I think most of all, I was surprised at how hard it was with both of them. Individually, we're cool as cucumbers. But together, each left for us to figure out why Kadence wouldn't go to sleep, or if Nate had to eat veggies (or just only if he wanted to) -it was obvious that we are lacking in the parental skill department. I think I am disappointed in myself - that I went through the night doubting what I was doing. That it just didn't come as natural to someone who considers herself a nurturer. I guess the important part is that we made it through and the kids were fine. Heck, they might have even had fun!

Saturday we took the kids to Trax Farms for hay rides and to pick pumpkins. They were great but the crowds started getting to me by the end of the day. There were people everywhere and I just felt so confined. I learned that I have a long way to go in the patience department.

I think overall, it just makes me worry that I'm not going to be a good parent. I am hoping that my theory of "being pregnant for 9 months allows one time to adjust and ease into not putting yourself first / growing patience" is true... I'm eager to find out, but honestly, I can admit that now I am a little scared. If this is how I feel with "good" kids, what happens when my kids are screaming at the top of their lungs and I am sleep deprived? Oh, what a roller coaster it will be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I felt the same way you do before Landon came along. Landon is a pretty good kid. He doesn't give me much trouble. I am worried about having another baby. What if the baby cries all the time? I think we all feel the same way. I have definetly learned to be more patient and you will too. Parents learn new things everday with their kids. Kaley

shaketeachmd said...

Run...Run while you still can! Okay, that is partly tongue-in-cheek. What you two experienced has nothing to do with your potential parenting skills. In fact, it means that you are actually better prepared than most parents. The lesson that you learned is that (1) kids completely change your life and lifestyle, (2) patience and energy are requirements that you find undiscovered stores of everyday, (3) there is a reason why parents jump at the opportunity to have "alone" time without the kids, and (4) there is nothing that prepares you for what is about to happen - not pregnancy, not books, not videos, not courses...nothing. With that being said, you will do fine. Heck, people, who I figured would be horrible parents, turn out alright, so you two will do awesome. Just remember, having kids is hard work. A friend of mine said that the reason God made kids so cute is so that we didn't throw them out the window when they started screaming or telling us the same thing for the fifteenth time or keep singing the same line of the song over and over and over and over or asking us a million questions or never giving us a moment of silence (the list goes on and on)!

You all will be fine. Don't worry. Rather, enjoy the time the two of you have together. Besides, kids drain your energy and your patience, but they are worth it ten times over. It's really weird how that works out.