Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tummy time..

I can't believe that I have to go back to work in a month. It just seems unreal - August 13th I report back for duty. Part of me is really looking forward to going back and slipping back into somewhat of a schedule. I think I'll be a better parent to Cori when I'm back at work. I enjoy my work, am happy to have a job, and think I'm fairly good at what I do. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. I also miss the pay! ha ha But I dread catching up; I've already had to log on 2x since my inbox was overflowing past the 1 GB of mail limit.

As time is going by, and Cori is in her 7th week, she is smiling more, cooing and laughing a bit. She's really alert and active in the morning (which is also why we've not yet captured this on film - it's too early to be fully functional!) But we ***may*** have solved the sleeping only when being held issue.

I've suspected for a while that she may be a tummy sleeper like her mom. She no longer enjoys the cradle position of being held in your arms. She much prefers being held upright (like when you'd burp her). She usually falls right asleep. I think it's the warmth of the chest to chest and the pressure on her tummy (as she is prone to gas). So yesterday afternoon I said a prayer and laid her down on her tummy. Low and behold she slept for 2 whole hours! She slept through her feeding time even.

I thought she may have slept from being over-tired (as she had a mild meltdown in Target yesterday). Well, I tried it again this morning and 40 minutes later, she is still sleeping. Granted I am checking on her every 5 minutes to make sure she is still breathing, but she seems fine. I don't trust it enough to do it at night, so we'll continue to co-sleep or hold her, but for the daytime, we may have found our answer!

7 comments:

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Sign me up for the "bad mommy" award, but I truly think you have to do what you have to do. If Cori sleeps well on her tummy, then go for it! If it would make you feel better, maybe you could get one of those monitors that measures the heartrate (I think it goes under the sheets or something). I'm glad she's napping for you better during the day. :)

Sara M said...

That is fantastic news! I'm so glad you figured out her little secret. Can you hear her breathing through the monitor? Maybe that'll give you some comfort through the nights if you turn it way up.... or you could switch to that angelcare monitor too. It's probably worth the $ if it's the only way to get her to sleep and you'll be up worried the whole time, especially once you're back at work! FWIW, I dont generally follow this logic but I think our parents all had us sleeping on our tummies and we made it!

Anonymous said...

Thats great! I'm glad Cori has finally found a comfy spot to lay in. I'm not too sure, but I think when I was younger, my mom laid me on my tummy to sleep, same with my brother. We turned out fine. :) I think you should just go with it. You'll have a much happier baby. :)

April said...

I can't believe our little ones are almost 2 months, and we're going back to work in a month. Time sure does fly!

I'm glad you figured something out for the daytime at least! It's nice to figure out anything that will help them sleep.

SIS Student Services said...

I'm a tummy sleeper and prone to gas... So much in common with Cori already. Haha. :P

It is so great that you found a way to have Cori sleep for a while. :) And how cute is she in that picture??

Valerie said...

Maybe I need to try the tummy sleeping... ;)

Glad to hear that things are going well for you!

Cara said...

oh good! we struggled with this too with andy. and he too is a tummy sleeper. however i could never put him down that way without him waking up... so we had to work it out until he could roll over himself... needless to say, that's how he naps and sleeps at night all the time now :)

like sara said, you have to do what you have to do :)