Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Question for the moms...

When does this whining phase end?!?! Dear lord I am frazzled from it. I know Dave is too.

Tonight was night #2 of "I'll eat anything and everything at daycare but won't eat at home". Cori screams and cries (and quickly works herself up into hysterics) when we put her in her highchair and / or try to feed her lately.

She is also extra clingy in the evenings when we're home, and she just doesn't seem to be her usual happy, smiling self. At daycare, she is happy and playful and sweet. No signs of her being sick, and she is sleeping well.

I'm at a loss. Please tell me this whining and crying and tantrums (did I mention the tantrums when we tell her "no"??)... make it stop!

PS - I should also add that we ovbiously love Cori very much, and this isn't meant to indicate otherwise. But I feel cheated somewhat - everyone talks about how much fun it becomes when they turn one, and this isn't fun. I think we felt like we just got the hang of things at 11 months, and then BOOM this hits us and we feel inept.

7 comments:

Emmy said...

Oh Beth, I'm so sorry you had another rough night at dinner :( I hope she cuts you some slack soon, hang in there!

shaketeachmd said...

A good friend of mine sat at lunch one day and had the following conversation.
CM: Man, I can't believe all the stuff you say Nate does. Jack is such a good baby, when hits that age, I can't imagine he'll ever be like that.

Fast forward a year...

CM: How the **** do you avoid killing them! He screams about everything!!!


In the long run, they grow out of it. Every kid is different, and the one's and the two's and three's and the four's are tough. Then the real trouble starts!

Just remember all the incredibly awesome stuff, and know there will always be more of that than there will be of the tantrums. Also, don't kill yourself over the awesome kid at daycare and hellion at home. Nobody believed us about Nate being a monster because he was SO GOOD for everyone else.

LisaBe said...

i have nothing useful for you on the tantrum front, not being a parent myself. just wanted to say that i love you and i *know* that you are not inept—not even close!! maybe she's not eating at night because she *has* eaten everything she needs during the day. ?

love, me.

Jen said...

that's funny, my little man is just the opposite (well sometimes)... hell at daycare, good at home. Then come the screaming fits for no apparant reason and the all out tantrums when you try to keep them from killing themselves. I dont think it ever stops, it just changes!!

Suzi said...

It is totally normal for them to have a decrease in appetite around 1. Also I always feel like I have won the food battles if Katie eats 2 good meals a day.

You will get through this rough spot I promise!!

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Good luck Beth! No one would ever think that you don't love Cori just because you express some difficulties you're going through. Hang in there. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethie!

So sorry you're at this stage, but it happens to all of us. My final decision on why they do things at daycare that they DO NOT do at home is the other kids--it has to be. Sydney is fighting her naps at home right now. At daycare-- 2 1/2 hour naps. WTH?? I think they know the routine and see the other kids doing it, so they follow.
You will for sure have your weak moments, but the fun days are more plentiful! For the most part, Sydney is so fun to be with--I literally take her about everywhere and she LOVES being out. Well at least up until the demon entered and took over her body about a week ago! She will be 3 on July 9th (can you believe that??) and let me tell you, Terrible Two's are nothing compared to what she's doing now. Her personality is just so developed and she knows how to get things out now, whereas at 2, they are still struggling to put the whole thing together. I swear she thinks she's 13! She calls Robert "Daddy Boy" and points her finger at him and says "No, Daddy Boy". I told him I am buying a leash for her to pull him around on, because that's about what he lets her do!
She picks things up in stores and says she "Needs" them. Again, WTH?? But when she's good, she's good, so I guess we take it all in stride. I must admit though, this stage has me turning my head to bust out laughing without her seeing a lot!
You know that thing where your mom says I hope you have a child 10 times worse....It's happening to me. But for the most part, we're having fun while doing it, step by step!
Hope the eating thing get s better--that is probably THEE most frustrating.

Take care!
xox-Jessica