Saturday, March 13, 2010

goat cheese drop biscuits

I don't often put recipes up on the blog, but today I made these again and realized they are too good to not share. These biscuits are from Chef Art Smith and his Chicago restaurant Table Fifty-Two. I love goat cheese, and I love biscuits. The goat cheese adds a bit of sweetness and the light consistency and slight outer crunch is only riveled by the soft fluffy insides. These are not as labor intensive as they may sound.
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 Tbsp(2ozs) cold butter in small chunks
  • 4 Tbsp(2ozs) goat cheese in small chunks
  • 1 cup (8ozs) buttermilk
  • extra melted butter
  • some grated parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter and goat cheese. (If you aren't a baker - like I'm not a baker - just add it in and use your hands to crumble it up into the dry ingredients. You should be left with small chunks throughout the mixture.) Add in the buttermilk and mix until moistened. (You may need to add an extra tablespoon or two of buttermilk to get everything moist.)

Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a baking sheet or jelly roll pan. Place 1/4 cup batterfuls of the mix onto the paper. (I just eyeball it - you want to get 12 biscuts if you can.) Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter and bake for 15 minutes.

Take the biscuits out of the oven and sprinkle with shreded or grated parmesan cheese. You may want to place them back in the oven for a minute to melt the cheese fully. Enjoy warm!



1 comment:

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

I may have to try these. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)