For about 20+ years, I've had a pile of 20+ old 8 mm film reels in a bag in our barn / shed. Recently I bit the bullet and took them into Costco to have the film transferred to DVDs. I had no idea if it would even work, because the film was exposed to hot summers and very cold winters, and it was really old. These are family movies from before I was born up until I was 5.
In case you're thinking about doing the same, the Costco online form (which you must do prior and then take it into your local Costco with the movies) was very easy to use and helps you figure out the price prior to officially ordering. The process took about 3 weeks (remember I had 20+ reels) and I got a call a few days ago that the movies were done. Because I don't have a spare $150 laying around (and it just wasn't factored into our budget), I've not picked the DVDs up yet.
But yesterday I got an email that my DVDs were available for free online viewing. Color me puzzled as I've not paid for them yet. Surely they would charge a fee to see the movies, or they'd only be snippets of film..... Nope! The entire DVD (23 reels actually fit onto 1 DVD) was online for me to watch.
After work yesterday we watched some of the movie online. It's a little odd as there is no sound (other than our live laughter as we watch it) and the chapters skip around from when I was a toddler to when I was a baby to before I was born to when I was a big sister, etc. (None of our film reels were labeled, so they just pieced everything together.)
I ordered a copy of the DVD for my brother and my cousin Tracey who I grew up with. Here are a few pictures to make you smile (and realize what a long way film technology has come!)
This is my brother and me. I'm 2 and he's a few months old.
This is my mom (3rd person in) in 1969 as a Vickette (a high school dance cheerleader)
My brother and me again, about the same age. Look at the old fashioned walker!
Um, this is me getting a bath at a few months old. hee hee
My brother (a few months old) and me (2) with our cat Kermit when we lived in North Huntingdon.
Christmas 1975, right before my brother was born. I'm about 21 months old.
My brother at 3 months old, being held by our grandma Frost and next to our Pap

My cousin Tracey and me on my 2nd birthday - she's helping me read the cards.
My Dad holding my baby brother at a few months old -look at those clothes!!

My second birthday, 1976. It is surreal to see myself at this age and know my own daughter is the very same age!

Aside from the laughter about the funny clothes and hair styles (or lack of, thanks hippie parents!) it is really nice to see relatives who've since passed away. And it is also a real treat to see both myself and my brother and Tracey all playing just like I rememeber!
1 comment:
Awesome! I do have some film to do, but I always fear that DVDs will soon be "outdated" too!
Post a Comment