Not a whole lot has been happening, aside from 2-3 visits to the OB each week. Thanks to the gestational diabetes, I now seem to have a home away from home at my OB's office. Every Tuesday and Friday I get hooked up to a fetal heartbeat monitor for a non-stress test.
Basically they are looking for regular accelerations and decelerations in the baby's heart beat. How long I am there depends on how awake the baby is. If he is sleeping, not much happens and we need to poke him and zap him awake with some sound waves. If he is awake, the heartbeat increases and decreases more.
Throw in the occasional ultrasound to check for baby's growth and practice breathing and sometimes I'm at the doctor's three times a week. Right now baby is head down and measuring a little over 5 lbs, about the 62nd percentile, so right on track. I'm also measuring 34 weeks, so there isn't excessive size to worry about.
While I've had to increase my diabetes medication, the meds are keeping my sugar levels in check. If things get out of control with the diabetes, that is the only reason I'd be induced earlier than 39 weeks, but it doesn't look like things are headed in that direction at all. At 36 weeks I'll have my first internal and see if I'm showing any signs of dilation, etc. Together with my doctor, we'll look at a calender and talk about an induction date for 39 weeks.
While there is a good chance I will have spontaneous labor prior to then, they will induce at 39 weeks, just not any earlier. I'll be aiming for the 22nd since Cori isn't in daycare on Fridays. But you know the old saying - people plan and God laughs - so we'll just have to see.
1 comment:
Let's try to get together soon. I have a feeling Ben is going to come early. Let's have a Ladies Night Out soon.
Post a Comment