
To knitting....Yesterday I met with two friends who are avid knitters. Anna was kind enough to show me through a local store where your imagination could just go wild (and your budget broke if not careful!). There were so many different kinds of yarn - soft silks and cashmere blends. Warmer wools and ribbon weaves. And the colors! It was both overwhelming and inspiring! I already have a few ideas of things I want to progress to and make. For now, I am starting off with your basic wool blend scarf in three colors of blue-greens that remind me of the ocean in Mexico where we spent our honeymoon.
After I selected my skeins, Anna and I went to Starbucks where we met with our friend Lisa and Anna taught me how to knit. I love the repetitive motion of it all - it is soothing and calming. And it is just darn amazing to see something actually coming of it! I thought that my project would look like a crooked lump of material full of holes, but it actually resembles a scarf! Granted, I think I've only done about three inches, but I don't care! It makes me want to do it more and more.
Anna reminded me how knitting isn't totally about the finished product - it's about the journey, the process. That's a life lesson in which I could use some refresher courses. I'm addicted!
2 comments:
you did WAY more than three inches--it was a big square washcloth when we parted yesterday, girl! you were rocking. anna and i were both marveling about it after we dropped you at your car (in the downpour--glad you got going and home okay). we'll have to do it again next weekend, or at least soon, to keep the practice up and get you another skill like purling in there. yippee!
I've never tried knitting, but I do crochet. I've been working on a baby blanket for a friend now for almost a year! The baby is now 9 weeks old!! It is fun and helps to keep your mind moving. I'd love to know where this store is that has all of the wonderful yarn!
Post a Comment