Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mulch, mulch, mulch

Summer allows me to do one of my favorite hobbies - gardening. I think it's in my genes; my dad's dad was the gardener who used to place all the flowers in Kennywood for a while. He ran his own greenhouses (and sold flowers to those in the area) when I was little. I can still remember how those greenhouses smelled - wet, earthy and moist. I'd play in the greenhouses with my little brother and run around the aisles, hiding in small spaces. It was sad to see the greenhouses town down when my grandfather passed away in 1996.


My dad loves to landscape and his yard is proof of it. (Well, until the sewer line broke and the borough had to tear apart his yard, but that is another story entirely!). I can always call my dad and ask him anything about gardening, and he knows all the cool places to get supplies and such. And my mom's home in summer is extra special - the flowers seem to bloom for her as much as she loves to garden. Sitting on her porch to relax is a great escape.


Gardening.... I love it. It's something that I want to learn more about as well, because while I enjoy it as a hobby, I know you can do some amazing things with more knowledge. Being in Raleigh last week took me away from my flowers, and I missed it almost as much as my husband and cat. It was such a joy to come home and be able to work in my gardens. While they are small, they are just enough for me.



This past weekend, in the midst of running to and fro to see friends and family for holiday events, I tried to get some plants into my garden. Last night I was able to complete my task. During my lunch hour yesterday, I bought 32 cubic feet of mulch and loaded it into a truck I borrowed from work. Bag after bag after bag of heavy mulch. And we used it all, and still need some more! I thought I'd post some pictures of the yard. Plus we have a cool new fountain for the garden thanks to my mom and Christmas last year!


I'm off to Raleigh again on Sunday, and this time, for 2 weeks. I'm going to miss my gardening!

No comments: