I was so excited to start knitting with it that I began without the yarn (about 500 yards) being wound into a ball. I figured that it wouldn't matter. ha ha ha ha ha ha. Boy did I learn the hard way! After about 10 rows, the thing became a huge tangled mess. And while I enjoy untangling knots, I found myself really frustrated with this. I tried one end. I tried the other. I tried from the middle. Nothing! It just became a huge mess!!!
I almost threw it away - $30 down the drain and a hard lesson learned. Well, luckily I just threw it into a ziplock bag to revisit one day in the future. Or to offer to anyone who wanted a challenge; they could keep the darn yarn as their prize - I just had to step away! I took it to my friend's party last weekend for any takers...
Well, my friend Michelle took up the challenge and said it was like her Zen project - she sat with it in her lap last weekend and some how, lord only knows, got it all untangled! I told her that she needed to keep the yarn, but she refused. She gave the yarn back on Tuesday in the sweetest fashion - it literally brought tears to my eyes. Note the sweet message on the bag.

I know just the project I'm going to make with it. It is a bit more challenging than I'm used to (considering I'm a square / baby blanket making kind of girl) but I am up to the challenge. 

2 comments:
that is an awesome story :) i'm so glad that your yarn is all better now. and, just between you and me, i have a spare ball winder. i could give it to you to get you through all this yarn winding business!
xox lisabee
awww, I'm blushing...friends also don't let friends throw away yarn! The picture doesn't do it justice and I can't wait to see your final product (or even the work in progress)!
Post a Comment