Tuesday, October 07, 2008

God bless Isaac

Thank you God for so many things. Thank you for Isaac Timothy Delisle.

As many of my friends and family know, I'm a member of an online community. Lots of ideas and information is exchanged here, and recently the story of one woman's pregnancy had been the topic of conversation. She was blogging about her pregnancy; she was to give birth to a little boy (whom she and her husband had named Issac) with chromosomal abnormalities. They suspected Issac had one of two trisomy disorders (trisomy 13 and 18) both of which are lethal, usually with the baby being carried to term or close to it, and then either being stillborn or dieing shortly thereafter.

This woman, Stacy, lived every day of her pregnancy knowing that she'd meet her son maybe for only a minute, maybe not at all. In the final weeks of her pregnancy, she knew that October 7th her son would become an angel on his birthday. She began writing letters daily to her son and she posted them on a second blog .

Can you imagine waking up each day knowing this? Can you imagine being able to feel your baby move inside you, safe and loved, and knowing that once he was born it would no longer be? I cannot.

This woman prayed for a miracle that Issac may be healed or live at least long enough that she could hold her baby after her c-section. And she found beauty in everything. She handled her lot with such grace and poise and acceptance. It humbles me.

Today Issac was born. He lived for 16 minutes.

An entry on her blog via a friend said "Isaac weighed 4 lbs and 12 oz and almost 17'' long with fuzzy strawberry blonde hair and mommy's nose and lips and daddy's ears."

I have been sobbing all day. My heart breaks for them. And while I know that Issac and Stacy and Spencer aren't the first family to have to deal with this, it is the first family I've known, and the first time I've stopped to think about this. It sure puts teething in perspective. It sure puts having to wake up at 4:30 AM to entertain your wide awake child into perspective.

Today I am holding my sweet daughter a little tighter.

God bless Issac. I continue with the most humble prayer I know -Thank you God for everything in my life, just as it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not always our to understand why morning passes to midnight without full chance of day. But in the darkest hours, the light you were given, however briefly, will shine above you..in the stars and in the eyes of an angel.

VK said...

This was a beautiful post, Beth - and it made me cry all over again. I've been following Stacy's story for quite some time now, and I cannot even imagine what they have gone through. I know that I've held Tessa a little tighter for sure over the past week.