Monday, December 22, 2008

"Baby Weirdness"

I think I may create a new game along the lines of "Name That Tune" and "20 Questions", and it would be called "Diagnose My Baby". Cori hasn't been herself since mid last week. Every morning she has a watery bowel movement / diarrhea first thing in the morning. The rest of the day, totally normal movements. She's been fussier and clingier than usual, but no fever or sniffles or congestion, etc. We've had a harder time than ususal putting her to sleep. And then this past Saturday her slow drinking of bottles turned to flat out refusing to drink them.

When the doctor saw her he said at most, it is a small case of a tummy bug. But he didn't even feel comfortable saying that since she was just having one loose movement a day. The primary concern was the lack of drinking and potential for dehydration. Immediately my thoughts turned to spending Christmas in Children's Hospital with Cori hooked up to an IV. This prompted me to at one point, hold my daughter down, force her mouth open and squirt formula down her throat with a syringe all the while, she is screaming away. There goes my "Mother of the Year" award...

I just don't know. I've been trying to listen hard to my parenting "Mommy-gut". Recently I learned the hard way that I need to pay more attention to that and give myself some credit. And my mommy gut is saying that this is somehow related to teething. She's been drooling a ton, the fussiness and clinginess... the lack of wanting to suck from the bottle? Motrin seems to help a little bit, and she is more apt to drink Pedialite from a cup"like a big girl" than to take a bottle - maybe because she doesn't have to suck? But at times she will take a whole bottle (ususally at night when she isn't playing) and I don't see anything in her mouth so who knows. I guess I have to chalk it up to what some of my blog friends term "baby weirdness". If anyone else would have any ideas or similiar stories, I'd love to hear them! In the meantime, I think I am going to finally go take a shower for today. This feels just like when Cori was 4 weeks old - the uncertaintly, the frustration - agh, memories!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm no expert, but it sounds like teething-related issues to me. Everything I've read would point me in that direction.

Hope the little one gets through it unscathed!

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Another "vote" for baby-weirdness and / or teething. :) (As if Cori's life is a democracy. haha) It's so hard sometimes... keep us posted. I hope you are well!

Jen said...

Yes, it sure does sound weird. I'd go for teething or allergies. Has she tried anything new lately? Any rashes on her body? Her symptoms sound strange. Merry Christmas!

~Jen

DrBabyMamaDrama said...

I am a firm believer in baby weirdness. Parenthood is great - just when you think you have things figured out, your kid starts doing new things to insult you :-P

Amy said...

Before I got to the end I was thinking teething. I think kids are more likely to swallow drool when they're sleeping, which would cause a first thing in the morning diaper issue. And teething always screws with what Heather will eat and how she eats it.

I hope the better days continue!