Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It seemed like a good idea....

Dave takes care of drop-offs for daycare, and I'm the one to pick Cori up at the end of my day. I often run errands on my lunch hour, and I always take my laptop home with me, so it's fairly usual for me to have a lot of things to take into the house when I bring Cori home. But this is especially true on Wednesdays as Cori's grandfather and grandmother always send family dinner home with her.

Today I had a few bags of groceries which I stuffed into one big bag, my heavy laptop bag full of files and such, and a heavy glass pyrex dish full of must be refrigerated pasta that needed to go into the house. I could have made more than one trip, but a lot of times Cori gets clingy and throws a fit if I just leave the room when we get home. And I thought I'd be smart and plan ahead to avoid that.

I realized that I don't need to struggle to try to carry 27lbs of Cori and the bags in my arms like I usually do. I mean, Cori can walk just fine right? Why can't I carry the bags and have her walk with me up to the house from the garage? It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Cori loves to be outside and especially loves to walk in the alley way behind our house. When I set her on the ground so I could collect my bags, I knew she would try to dart out to the alley. Being a proactive parent, I grabbed her hand immediately and yes, she tried to run away. But I had nipped that in the bud and bested her. I felt so smart!! ha!!

Well, that proud feeling was short lived. Cori wouldn't walk with me and kept pulling away towards the alley. She even went as far as to throw her binky down on the ground so I would have to drop her hand to pick it up (as my other hand was holding multiple bags of everything else). She'd then try to escape again, and I'd end up dragging her along with me as far as I could. This went on for 5 minutes, for a distance from garage to house that normally takes under 1 minute. I ended up scooping her up along with everything else and succumbed to defeat. So much for good ideas.... I had to laugh. I'd been bested by my kid! Sadly it probably won't be the last time either.

Speaking of laughter and ideas that seemed good at the time, here's a classic from my favorite comic strip characters:

1 comment:

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

Sigh. Some days are just like that.
Family dinner?!?! Do Cori's grandparents want to watch Pog too? That is AWESOME!!!