Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Mis-mash

Welcome February, and happy early Chinese new year! We're a month closer to spring, and thank goodness, cause this weather is driving me stir-crazy! The anticipation of spring combined with some early nesting has been coming out in small ways around the house. I finally took down the snowman themed bathroom decor and put up more permanent decor.

What's kind of funny is that I like the the reverse side of these towels a little bit better than the "normal" side! Which side do you think looks better - the normal white with green & blue dots, or green & blue reversed with the white dots?
New front decor, thanks to Smith & Hawken (love that store - they really need one in Pittsburgh!)
A touch of spring flowers in the guest room to bring in spring.

As if the weather doesn't keep us cooped up enough, last week Cori got really sick and had to miss school on Friday. Early Friday morning she called to me over the monitor which is nothing new, but I went into the room and saw there was something on the sheets. I thought she had spilled her water sippy, but unfortunately she was vomiting violently. This went on for about 90 minutes. We'd get the poor kid cleaned up with fresh sheets, and she would just fall back asleep when it would hit again. Thankfully that was it, and after those 90 minutes, it was out of her system. But she still seems to have no appetite even now, and she must have been pretty traumatized as she still talks about her vomiting and says her tummy hurts and she is sick.

So far none of us have caught this tummy bug, and hopefully no one will! I'm already down about 10 pounds from the time I got pregnant and a stomach bug doesn't sound like a nice way to lose more! Speaking of the pregnancy, we're also exactly a month away from finding out 2.0's gender. I'm still getting a very strong "boy" vibe, though I'd love for Cori to have a little sister.

I think sooner than later we are going to have to start sleep training again. Cori is really, really in a "mommy" phase right now, and she requires that I lay with her to fall asleep. I hate to say "require", but if I am home, she will not accept anything other than me laying with her to fall asleep. But at daycare and at her grandparents, she naps fine without me obviously and by herself. And if I'm not at home, like traveling for work, she will let Dave put her down to sleep.


But if I am home, it is screaming and crying for 30+ minutes. I've pinned myself into a corner because after 30 minutes of screaming, I go in and tell Dave to leave and I'll just lay with her. I know it only reinforces the bad habit, but at that point, I can't sleep anyways and I'm frustrated and upset too. And it compounds it further in that when she wakes up in the middle of the night, she needs me to lay with her to go back to sleep. I've tried to sneak away and apparently no matter how ninja-like I am, she can tell I'm not there. So she cries out and here we go again. Last night it was 6 times.
.


I have a really comfortable bed, and I'd really like to sleep in it. This is going to be hard on everyone I think, as much as I know it needs to be done and in the end will be better for her. I won't subject Dave's uncle to the sleep training when he stays over shortly, so I guess we'll start after Valentine's day. I'm out of excuses (new house, new daycare adjustment, etc) and I'm pretty much out of patience. I just hope that I have to strength to make it through!

4 comments:

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

The sleep issue sounds really, really tough. I hope you can find a solution that works for your family with as little stress as possible. You'll be up with the new baby soon enough, so you need to sleep while you can! :) When M has struggled with sleep, we've been able to ask her outright what would help. Sometimes it's a book, sometimes it's another blanket. Would something as simple as that work?

Ben and Cori Momma said...

Sara - I've asked her at times what would help and she will just repeat/ demand "Mommy lay down!"

Molly P. said...

I love the way the bathroom looks and the door! I like the dark side of the towels. :)

Oh and I'm loling... Read this and notice the word being defined. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mishmash I love you, Murl Strip! ;p

Sara M said...

Hm, I do like those towels on the reverse side!

I love Smith & Hawken too. The one we had in Princeton jusy closed last fall. :(