Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gestational Diabetes update

It's been a week since I met with the dietitian and started my modified diet for the gestational diabetes. While I do miss some of the sugar I used to freely have, what is more annoying is the glucose monitoring. It isn't very convenient to have to schedule when I eat and then be available an hour afterwards to test. Sometimes I have work meetings or am out grocery shopping, etc. The numbers haven't been that bad - my fasting levels are a little high and so was breakfast, but they'd be fine for lunch & dinner. Oddly enough, the more sugar / carbs I have, the lower my numbers. What can I say - I'm an anomaly!

Today I met with a fetal specialist to go over the numbers and talk about what will happen next. Basically they want me to start on insulin at night to help with the morning numbers. Right now I'll just continue with my modified diet and watching my numbers. In the next few weeks, I'll need some more ultrasounds to monitor the baby's growth. Then around 35 weeks, I'll begin non-stress tests 2x a week just to check on his activity. They will not let me go past 39 weeks, and if things start to get "worse" (high blood pressure, large baby weight, bad sugar numbers) they will do an amnio to check on lung maturity and then induce labor (which may be a c-section depending on baby's weight). But it's all a waiting game at this point because we can't predict how things will turn out. I'm fine now, and so is baby, so that is good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go prick my finger again and test my levels....