My apologies in advance if you don't have kids, or if you do but they don't have any sleep issues.... you most likely will find this post a snooze fest.
A constant reading companion of mine is Dr. Ferber's Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems book... it talks about how anxiety is common at night and a frequent source of bedtime struggles. While most kids can control anxiety during the day thanks to distractions and activity, at night they may begin to worry while waiting for sleep to come. The ability to control one's thoughts and feelings diminishes as one gets sleepy, and because of this children often regress at night. Thus a 5 yr old at night may need the reassurance that a 3 yr old would during the day. At night, the child gives up what little control she has over her world. Anxiety is very common at this age, even for a child who goes off to school very confidently.
A few things we've done that have seemed to have helped have been to move her bedtime back a little bit. She was taking a very long time to fall asleep, and she doesn't need as much sleep at 3 as she did at 2 so I don't think there is any harm in that. Cori still naps most days for about 2 hrs; the average 3 yr old needs a total of 11 hrs of sleep a day. With a 2 hr nap, that would mean 9 hrs at night. Since Cori wakes at 7 AM usually, her bedtime should be around 10. But I feel that is way too late, so now were doing a 9 PM bedtime and she is usually asleep by 9:30.
Unfortunately one thing we also did (that is causing the most problems) is that we removed the baby gate from her door way. She figured out how to open it, so we just took it down. Cori has a hard time staying in her room every so often; for a while, she was coming into our room frequently and asking what we were doing or laying down on our floor at 4 AM (unknown to us!) and going to sleep. We didn't put up another gate but I think we'll have to. An interesting passage from Ferber is below:
The cornerstone of setting limits at night is ensuring that the child stays in the room where she should be sleeping. If she doesn't, you can't enforce any rules. Now who is in control? To enforce rules, you have to use a barrier such as a gate or a door. Threats and punishments are counterproductive; a young child shouldn't be punished for lack of self-control at night, when self-control is hardest. The temptation to leave is just too strong.
There is still a bit of a "power struggle" between Cori and myself. If I do not go right to bed, she throws a tantrum. And by tantrum, I mean full out screaming at top of lungs, flailing, etc. She doesn't act that way with Dave, but yet she insists on having me put her to bed. So I'm often held hostage to her demands and having to go right to my room until she falls asleep and I can sneak down. To keep the peace (esp with Ben sleeping) I've done so, but it drives me batty. I'd like to be able to do what I need to do without her freaking out. Unfortunately no amount of explaining makes it better for her. She doesn't care that I'm doing boring chores or anything - she just wants me up in my room asleep. Again - she is just trying to control the situation. I have to decide if I want to do what I need to do outside of my room (causing her to scream and wake her brother and to delay her own bedtime a long time with her tantrum) or just give in and do things in my room at that time.
We've struggled with limit setting in regards to sleep, and we've been inconsistent at times. I think this has made the problem more complex. We're unraveling it as best as we can, and praying we figure it all out before Ben gets into this phase. At least I know the upcoming 4 month sleep regression that is headed our way won't last forever.
Now, does anyone have any good recommendations for a baby gate that toddlers can't open??
5 comments:
Oh Beth, I can only reiterate to you that we locked M's door from the outside, with our pediatrican's blessing. We tried the warning first and the putting back and the reasoning. She was a whole year younger than Cori, and she got it quickly. I totally get that it is not for everyone, but you've tried so many things... I don't want to be a jerk, but I really think you might want to consider this. I won't lie: there were a few tough nights, but it worked quickly. And even the threat of it (after several warnings, of course), works beautifully. Hugs and love!
To give you hope, Henry didn't even have a four month regression!
I babysat quite a few kids who had to have their doors locked until they fell asleep.
Also, we have used a white noise machine in Henry's room from day one mostly because of how the sound in our house travels, but it would help drown out a screaming three year old.
I think you need to play hardball and take back control. You should not be locked in your room because she thinks you should be!!! I say lock the door from the outside and let her tantrum. Keep checking on her like Ferber suggests for sleep training, or better yet, do the SuperNanny method of going in, no words, putting her back in her bed, leave. It will take a week, guaranteed. Also, I second the whitenoise machine. We got one that does nature sounds from BRU and it works wonders with the noise from traffic, etc.
When you going through this, you feel like a bad parent for being tough, but you dont have a choice or you'll be stepping on her in the middle of the night all the time!!!
If it was possible to lock Heather's door from the outside when she's having a bedtime meltdown, I would do it in a heartbeat. Thanks to our 100 year old house I can't, but she will respond to daddy discipline better at the moment. So the only nights that really stink are when I do bedtime solo.
We're having a babysitter tonight and I'm rather stoked about missing bedtime. :-)
Soph hasn't gotten this one. It helps that it's tall and she can't get a clear view of the handle/lock.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2970281
Otherwise I'm no help in the sleep department. It's like musical beds in our house. :(
Post a Comment