Wednesday, August 15, 2007

And we're Live!!!

I've been busy working. Oracle rolled out (after a 24 hr delay) at our work and I have been working very late. I even worked 12 hrs this past Sunday. I'm sick of working these late hours! But on a positive note, I've been getting some internal recognition at work with eStars.... eStars are points that you can turn in for merchandise or gift cards. I've accumulated a ton, and talked to Dave about getting Circuit City gift cards for my eStars and buying.....








Polaroid 46" LCD HDTV - enhance your home theater with full HD 1080p resolution in this 46" LCD flat panel HDTV from Polaroid. With the included stand and capability to be mounted, you have display options to fit any design.



I'd like to get this before the football regular season starts and I start going through the surgeries for IVF (what a better way to pass the time between the embryo transfer and pregnancy test than starting at a lovely TV!) But we'll see how many eStars I get and how much leftover we'll have to pay.....


Speaking of IVF - we signed consent forms again this week and met with our doctor again. She said after speaking to the embryologist, that she'd like to do an extra procedure with the eggs and sperm. They would like to do ICSI. This stands for intracytoplasmic sperm injection . Basically, rather than just put my eggs in a petri dish with Dave's sperm, they want to manually inject a sperm into each egg.


The reason they want to do this is because last time I had 15 mature eggs, but only 6 fertilized. They normally expect about 70% of eggs to fertilize with IVF, and we were below that. The embryologist felt that the sperm weren't able to penetrate the zona surrounding the egg as well as they should.


Previously, we'd discussed ICSI as an option, but felt that there was no need to do it because Dave's tests turned out to show no true problems. They normally reserve ICSI for male infertility issues. But tests don't show everything and no test is conclusive. (heck, both our tests show us to be normal yet 2 yrs later, we can't conceive "normally"). And for all I know, it could be that it isn't a sperm issue but that my eggs are as stubborn and as tough as I am!


In any case, we've decided to use ICSI. It means it will give us more embryos. The more we have in reserve, the better our chances will be both now (to be able to choose from the best of our embies to implant into me) as well as in the future (as we plan to freeze our extras should we need to use them in the future - not all frozen embies thaw to survive and are able to be implanted).
Hopefully we won't need it down the line, but it is a good option!
Love to all-

3 comments:

Joe.Karen said...

hi sweetie!!!!! so much to catch up on. you will be in our prayers for sure. lots of hugs to you. :)

Melissa said...

I think of you often (and check your blog to prove it, lol). You're in our prayers.

Sara M said...

Hi Beth....

I know you were disappointed with the how many eggs fertilized last time so I'm hoping that the ICSI does the trick this time. As always, you know I'm praying for you guys.

And that TV is awesome! Hopefully you'll have enough points very soon!

Love, Sara