Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Forward Progress

I feel like we're making lots of forward progress. Last night we found the carpet we want for replacing the current carpet in the bedrooms and hall / steps. While the prices at Pr!zzant's were way too high, we found the pricing at Rusmer Flooring / Carpet One to be perfect. They had a lot more high end items, but worked with us on what we could afford as well as not wanting superior carpet since we'll be moving in <5 years. We settled on a great mossy green color; it'll look great with our buttery yellow walls in the hallway, and with all the wood trim in our house, it makes a nice contrast to show off the wood. We're looking to buy it this month, but wait to have it installed until February so I can paint the nursery and touch up some baseboards with varnish. And best of all, the place will remove and haul away our old carpet as well as move all the furniture, so we can just sit back and let them do their thing!

We're also closing in on a day care location for Peanut. Thanks to a recommendation from a friend, we discovered an in-home day care that is right around the block. It's so close, our backyards are only separated by the alley way behind our houses. (Heck, we could sled ride into her backyard if we wanted to!). She is licensed by the state, has all the certifications, and is very affordable. My friend takes her 18 month son there, and will be taking her infant (due in March) there as well. Because the day care can only watch up to 6 children, 2 of which are infants, we kind of want to make a decision soon, knowing that my girlfriend will be taking 1 of the 2 infant spots (both are open currently).

But the things my friend told me about this woman's willingness to work with your "rules" and the attention she gives the kids, I am really excited to meet with her this weekend. And since Dave often does in-home inspection for his social work job, he knows just what to look for when we're there. Once we observe her with the kids next week, we should be set. The woman has graciously said she would hold the infant spot for us to start next Sept. as long as we give her our word that we'll be using her. And if this falls through for some reason, I do have a few other places to check into as well; I've heard good things, and while they are a little more than this option, and not as close, I can still consider them as options!

Last night we outlined our budget for 08 as well. We should have the last credit card paid off by next year, which will make Dave over-joyed! We've put in funds for daycare, gutting our upstairs bathroom and re-doing it, and paying off the carpet in 6 months. Plus we'll have a good start again on some savings. I just need to talk to my HR rep about how I'll be getting paid through my maternity leave.

So forging ahead! I am still feeling awesome, and am 11 weeks today! Our 1st trimester screening (blood work & an ultrasound) is on Friday. They'll check to see that Peanut isn't showing signs of Down's Syndrome and calculate my odds to see if they are higher than average. It's all a big statistical formula based on the baby's age, my age, blood results, and ultra sound measurements. But we won't find out until early December at my next OB appt. With the lack of Down's in our family history, and my age being under 40, I **should** be okay. And heck, I'm just looking forward to getting another look at Peanut!

No comments: