Saturday, June 07, 2008

2 weeks already!


I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since Cori was born. She is already 9lbs (as of her doctor's appt this past week) and eating like a champ. I **think** (knock on wood) she has righted her days & nights - she's been more alert during the days and sleeping better at night. The real test (for mom) will be when Dave goes back to work on Tuesday and I have to take all the night shifts (we currently split them). I foresee more naps during the day than what I'm doing now (none to one right now).


Here's a picture of her in her vibrating chair. She loves motion and vibrations.


Many people have asked how breast feeding is going, so I'm updating here. It never went well, and after a lot of thought I decided to not attempt it again and instead just exclusively pump. So she gets bottled breast milk. After meeting with two different lactation consultants for a total of 6 times, the confirmed that while I'm doing everything as correct as can be, Corinne just is very impatient at the breast. She won't latch, and she won't calm down even if milk is ejected right into her mouth. She would get so worked up that she couldn't calm down, which lead to a very frustrated and unnerved mom, and it was pretty much a terrible experience for both of us.


Then you factor in the fact that she was dehydrated from not getting enough to eat, and I just can't risk it again. Doing the exclusively pumping way, I can give her breast milk and all the benefits, but also make sure she is consuming enough since we can measure the amounts. Plus, Dad and others get to feed her which everyone loves. It's twice the work in a way - I still have to prep and clean bottles every 3 hrs and also take the 20 mins or so to express the milk. But as long as she is healthy and happy, this is the route we're going for now.


I give credit to those women who are able to successfully breastfeed - it truly is a lot of work and a learning experience for both mom and baby. But sometimes it doesn't work out, no matter how many times you try or no matter how hard you try. I think I'm done beating myself up about it and have moved past it (whew). Besides, with the super easy labor I had, I guess I can't have it all and have an easy time breastfeeding too huh?!


For those moms out there, any recommendations for a baby carrier (like a Maya wrap or ring sling)? With Dave going back to work and it just being me and Corinne, I'd like to be a bit more mobile with her. I'd welcome any opinions on what worked for you.

10 comments:

April said...

Way to go with exclusively pumping Beth! That's got to be a lot of work! I'm always really impressed with exclusive pumpers...I haven't even worked up the nerve to pump at all yet!

I seriously can't believe its been 2 weeks either. Time really does fly by, doesn't it?

Suzi said...

Good for you for all of the pumping! It is a lot of work but worth it!!!

I love my Bjorn. Katie is almost 10 months and still loves it.

Lots of hugs!!!

LisaBe said...

she is SO CUTE. and i love that you're calling her cori. very cute.

i'm glad that you've found a feeding system that's working for you. i can't imagine how stressful and frustrating it must have been before you reached that decision!

can't wait to see you both. lots of love, l.

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

I'm glad you aren't beating yourself up. You shouldn't. I give you a lot of credit for pumping. It's not easy, and it is a lot of work. I only pump once a day, and I think THAT is a lot of work. YOu are awesome for being so committed to it. Corinne is growing so very fast, and she is so beautiful -- like you are, inside and out.

Amy said...

There is no reason to beat yourself up! Being an exclusive pumper is a ton of work and your daughter is getting all the benefits of breastmilk. You are doing a wonderful job! There are moms out there who would not have had the commitment to meet with LCs six times and make the commitment that you have to the pump. You should be proud of all you've done for Cori already!

Hope Tuesday goes smoothly for you!

Anonymous said...

Bethie-
Glad everyone is well and you have the set pattern down for feeding. As I told you from my own experience, having the lactation consultants trying to assist (although they mean best), while her face is bright purple from being so worked up, is not fun for anyone. She will STILL get all she needs from pumping, without the feelings of what's right and what's wrong--YOU are what's right for her, in any form, and that's all that counts.

I hope that things go smoothly on Tuesday and I think they will-- when Robert went back to work I hate to admit, but it was a kind of weird mother/daughter bonding time and I loved it! Enjoy every second. As Sydney told me tonight at one of her friend's 2nd birthday parties (she will be 2 herself in 1 month and 2 days) "I Syddy and you are my friend,Mommy", I had to fight back the tears of "Where has my helpless baby gone??".

I am so thrilled you get to experience this......
xoxox-Jessica

SIS Student Services said...

She is too cute. I love her little 'don't scratch' mittens. And you know that I think that whatever works for you in terms of feeding is the best answer. Good for you for finding peace with it. You are proving to be one wonderful Mama!! :)

Mollie said...

Hey Bethie!

I applaud you for the pumping. I pumped for 8 months after going back to work. It's a job, but I think well worth it!!

I have an infantino sling if you want to borrow it. It's the one that's black on the outside and black & white toile on the inside. Although, it may be a bit hot for you in this weather. I'll send you a photo of it tonight.

Big hugs!
Mollie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Beth and Dave!

Beth, email me at mamesster@gmail.com if you get bored!

Mike Ames

Jen said...

Beth, I did the same thing with pumping for my twins, neither one would latch on, I did it for as long as I could and then stopped at 3 months. It was hard, and I had to let go of the guilt about it. At 6 years old they are no different than their friends.

Also, I have a maya wrap and baby bjorn. I like them both for different reasons. I still haven't figured out how to use the maya wrap with out baby looking squished or close to falling out.