Friday, September 12, 2008

New men in my life

Here's how we dressed Corinne today - Fridays are Steeler Day at daycare:

I'm been meaning to blog about the 2 new men in my life. I've also been trying to figure out how to make them get along. I think it will just take time. One man is younger - he's a fitness guru and his name is Antonio. The old man is a littler older - he is a doctor and his name is Brian.

Antonio isn't aware of Dr. Brian. I'm not sure how he'd react if he knew about him; I actually don't know if he would have even started seeing me if he knew I was seeing Dr. Brian. But Dr. Brian on the other hand is fully aware of my interactions with Antonio and isn't happy at all about it!

Antonio has asked that I commit to 5x a week for an hour - some days very intensely, and others a little less. Right now I'm seeing Dr. Brian about twice a week- he's a little more expensive so he's understanding about me spreading out our visits.

Antonio is my personal trainer at the gym I joined earlier this month. Dr. Brian is the chiropractor I started seeing earlier this month.

My poor body has no clue what has hit it. I have to hit the gym tonight, and I've just now recovered from my session Tuesday! "Ouch" is an understatement. This all started because post-Cori, my body felt completely weak. While I lost all my baby weight, I had zero core strength. And a lot of back pain. My body was just all of of alignment and I started compensating in my muscle groups, using muscles for unintended jobs as the other muscles were too tight and taxed.

I really want to feel stronger, and the chiropractor is really helping. I have terribly tight tendons going into my SI joint (that's the Sacroiliac joint, located at the bottom of the back on either side of the spine. Not my Sports Illustrated joint...) But the tightness is really limiting my range of motion in my right hip and leg. Not to mention it hurts. And due to weak supporting muscles in my core back, I've been using other muscles to help support my posture and it's causing a lot of pain.

But like I said, Dr. Brian really helps. It's just that he wants me to not work out yet until I get better range of motion over a longer period of time. And Antonio doesn't know I'm seeing a chiropractor. I don't want him to think the "problem" is more than what it is. This is really what I think Antonio is selling:
what's more, I think I need it. Thankfully Joelene is hitting the gym with me when our schedules allow, and having a work out buddy makes all the difference!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to add a third man - a massage therapist. Seriously though, if you want a recommendation for a great, reasonably priced therapist, email me. (oh, and she's female :-)