They say that the first trimester is the one filled with angst and worry - with not feeling well and placing all your trust in something bigger than yourself that everything will be okay. For me, the 1st trimester wasn't so bad - aside from wondering if I'd miscarry again. I think I held my breath at every ultrasound (and still do) that there'd be that flickering heart showing that life was still existent. And I felt fine physically other than moody.
The second trimester was really the best - physically and emotionally. No complaints and enough comfort to trust that things were going well.
But the third trimester... well, I'm finding that this is almost as bad, if not worse than the first trimester. And it isn't the physical aspect (though that does hurt, but I've blogged enough about that for now). It's the emotional aspect that is getting to me. I think that because of the two years of infertility and especially the missed miscarriage of our twins, it's had a weird affect on me. There is a big part of me that still can't believe we're going to get a baby out of this. It's like there is a part of me that waits for the other shoe to drop. Maybe I'm in denial of sorts. Maybe I just can't accept that the happiness we've strived for so long is right around the bend, and our dream is about to become true. But I find myself racked with worry a lot of the time.
I'm worried that something is going to happen to this child before it's even born, and just like the miscarriage, I'll have no idea. Unfortunately stillborn babies are a sad fact of life. And what if the cord is stuck around my baby's neck and we don't know it? What is normal to feel and what isn't? What if I am missing a sign? When I expressed my fears to my OB at a recent appointment, she said that fetal movement is the best assessment of the baby's health. That an active baby is a healthy baby. That Peanut should be as active as ever, and yes, even with my placenta in the front.
Great..... so now I've found my new obsession. How active is Peanut? I'm asked at each appointment if the baby is active. And I say "yes". Well, at last week's appointment I was asked if movement has slowed down at all - to which I was honest and said "yes". Because it has slowed down. I thought this was normal from everything I've read and heard. That baby runs out room and is cramped in the end, and thus isn't as active. Plus, the hard punches and kicks have become more tai chi like - rolls and pushes across my body. But even so, it's not as frequent as it once was. My OB said I should be feeling Peanut ten times an hour?? That seems excessive to me. But hey, she is the one with the medical degree.
When I woke up on Sunday morning at 6:30 AM, I realized I hadn't felt any movement since 9PM the night before. So I drank a glass of cold orange juice and laid back down on my left side and waited. And waited. No movement. 90 minutes later I start freaking out convinced that something has gone wrong. I got up and went downstairs about to start digging around on the Internet when finally Peanut moved. I felt like I'd been holding my breath the whole 90+ minutes.
I just don't know how I'm supposed to last another 5 weeks of this agony. I'm torn between my gut which says Peanut is just not as active and has run out of room, or listening to my doctor who says that Peanut should be really just as active. Damn my past history for making me worry and not allowing me to relax! Ignorance really is bliss I guess.
So I finally decided to spend the money to rent a doppler machine for this last month. This will allow me to check for the baby's heartbeat just like they do at the doctor's. I figure the money will be worth the peace of mind. I just wish that I was in a place mentally where this was all unnecessary. I guess I won't fully relax until I'm holding Peanut safely in my arms.
9 comments:
oh, sweetie! i'm so sorry that you're feeling so anxious. i can't imagine feeling any other way, of course, being the worry-wart that i am. it must be so hard! i'm glad that you have the option of renting the doppler, though; that should bring you lots of peace of mind. plus you can listen to your baby any time you want--how cool is that?
i have faith that you and peanut will be just fine, but i can totally understand your feelings (well, not *totally*, of course, but you know--i can understand why you have them). here's to an easy and problem-free last few weeks! lots of love, lisabee
Oh B. It all makes sense. Yay for the doppler and yay for only a handful of weeks until Peanut is here with us all. Hang in there. - Meeps
Oh Beth,
I'm so sorry that you've been so worried lately. I know there's nothing I can say to make it go away but I'm glad that you've got the doppler to give you some reassurance. I have faith that you and peanut will be just fine and I'll keep praying for that until the day you have that little one in your arms.
Love & hugs, Sara
Dearest Beth,
I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better. You are so strong. You have been through so much and have only a few more weeks to go. The doppler sounds like it will bring you peace of mind. Peanut is so lucky to have you!!! Lots of love, Jen
Well, not having gone through the whole pregnancy thing, I can't speak from experience. However, I do have to say that everyone I know did do the birthing-thing seems to have the same angst. I know my buddy Chris goes nearly crazy with every kid, and he has done this three times.
Now, I'm not trying to minimize your fears, because they are legitimate and I'm sure I would have the same fears. And, I don't know if this makes it better or not, but those worries never go away -- they just change. I remember getting up every night for weeks to check on Nate, and then again on Olesya, to make sure they were okay. Now, I worry about what happens to Nate at school and whether or not Olesya will be running down the street naked (now and then again when she is teenager!)
With all that being said, all the worries and fears are worth it. Nothing brings me more joy than spending time with my kids. Of course, those blessed hours after they have gone to bed are pretty nice, too.
I remember feeling exactly the same way and I didn't have the two years of difficulty or the miscarriage in my past. DD was never a super active baby in the womb...or she was and I just couldn't feel it. I think the latter is the way it was because I remember an OB visit when the nurse could "hear" kicks on the doppler and I didn't feel a thing!
There were several times that just as I was on the verge of freaking out I would feel a kick or a movement. Timing is everything.
I know that I can't make your fears go away, but just know that your feelings are natural. But before you know it they will be replaced by new fears and questions. Is peanut hungry? Why is he/she crying? Did he/she eat enough?
This is the beginning of a lifetime of worries. :-)
Ah Beth! It sounds fairly normal to me, especially given all that you have gone through to have Peanut. All will be OK. 10 movements per hour sounds like a lot to me -- I have never heard that. But Beth... stay off the internet, or you will convince yourself something is wrong. :) Peanut is OK!!! How could Peanut not be when Peanut is surrounded by love and prayers from both family, friends and strangers? Hang in there, and I hope the doppler brings you some peace of mind.
Oh Beth! I remember feeling the same way... I had an anterior placenta. My Peanut is fine and yours will be too! You and Peanut will be in my prayers!
Hugs!!!
My dear Bethie, I have no clue what you are going through. But I want you to know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. I pray that the next five weeks and beyond go smoother than you ever imagined. Hugs for all of you.
Love,
Karen
Post a Comment