Friday, May 02, 2008

Trying to go green(er)

With Earth day two weeks ago, we've been giving more thought to trying to be more green in our daily living and long term carbon foot-print. We already try to avoid using plastic bags from the grocery stores and instead use the reusable bags we purchased last year.


We're going to be getting a new car for me next February; we've changed our mind from getting a small SUV / cross-over vechicle to getting something that is just a bit larger than my current Jetta. So we're starting to look into what kind of vechile we'd get - it would be great to get a Toyota Camry hybrid but they are fairly expensive with the options I want ($30K). And getting a hybrid isn't about the better gas mileage (though that is a nice perk) since 85% of my driving is on the freeway - it is more about doing my part to lessen the polution in the air from my car. I just don't know if I can afford the price.


There's also the possibility of just getting a newer used car (like a 2007) that just has more room and gets decent gas mileage. But that leaves a ton of possibilities. Maybe having options is a good thing, as much as I like to know ahead of time.


I've also been giving a lot of thought to what is more important - what you put INTO you, or what you put ON you. While the skin can act as a filter, you absorb into your blood stream a lot of the unnatural ingredients that are in shampoo, soap, deoderant, etc. And while your liver acts as a filter too, I truly belive you are what you eat. Many foods are laiden with hormones and artificial ingredients. I wish we could afford to do both. As a friend of mine said - it's certainly more affordable to change what you put on you.


I did come across a helpful article of which foods you should really try to buy organic and which aren't as necessary to buy organic.


The Dirty Dozen - you should always buy organic based on an analysis of >10,000 US Government pesticide test results:

  1. Apples

  2. Cherries

  3. Grapes imported from Chili

  4. Nectarines

  5. Peaches

  6. Pears

  7. Raspberries

  8. Strawberries

  9. Bell peppers

  10. Celery

  11. Potatoes

  12. Spinach

Not so Dirty Dozen - generally do not retain pesticide residue:

  1. Bananas

  2. Kiwi

  3. Mangos

  4. Papaya

  5. Pineapples

  6. Asparagus

  7. Avocado

  8. Broccoli

  9. Cauliflower

  10. Corn

  11. Onion

  12. Peas

I know that we're also starting to use more green cleaning products, especially with Peanut on the way. I've read about how bad chlorine and other cleaning products are for kids and pets, especially since the fumes stay so low to the ground. I'd love to purchase this book and really dig into it.


Feel free to share any green tips you have in the Comments. I love exchanging ideas!

2 comments:

SIS Student Services said...

Good ideas, B! I wonder where you would go to buy orbanic veggies and fruit. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't want to hear that I've been car shopping for an SUV? We don't know what else to do with 2 under 2 (carseats and just STUFF) so. . .

Good luck in these last remaining weeks!!!!!!!