Monday, September 08, 2008

Elusive Sleep

Whomever invented the phrase "sleeping like a baby" never had a baby. Or they didn't intend to convey sleeping well. Sleep is by far the hardest thing we deal with in regards to Miss Corinne. She is a cat-napper during the day, usually taking 20 minute naps at most. On rare days she'll sleep longer and that is usually at daycare. We still have to hold her at home to get her to nap, and it isn't a good deep sleep. Sneezes or movements or the slightest noise can wake her.

And sleep at night is elusive these days. We're actually getting less than what we were. The first few months we held her in a chair to sleep and for the most part, she slept pretty well. A few weeks ago we started to transition her to her crib. She wasn't comfortable in the chair anymore, and neither were we. As part of her transition, we started a bedtime routine. We're a big believer in this as it seems to work. Usually. Around 7:30 we bathe her, give her the last bottle for a while, and sing a bit to her. She sometimes tolerates a story. But by 8:00 she is usually out. While she'll wake around 9 most times, she's back down by 9:30 and in a deep sleep by 10.

Here enters the crib transition. It's taken some adjustment on all our parts but she's slowly getting it. We've had some good nights, and we've had plenty of bad ones. (3 in a row the past three nights). We keep reminding ourselves that she is little and it will take time. Patience is key.

Unfortunately the bad sleep seems to be catching up on Cori - she had a rough day at daycare right now and as I'm typing this, I can hear her screaming as Dave is trying to start to put her down for the night. Her little eyes get so red I feel terrible for her.

Sorry for the lack of pictures- we've been slacking and honestly, time is just slipping away from us. Our house looks like a bomb went off inside, and outside I have dead flowers from lack of water and fallen leaves inches thick in my front yard. Trying to get everything done with cleaning bottles, filling bottles, getting dinner ready and cleaning up - laundry (we go through burp cloths like crazy) and etc. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Certainly not enough left to get decent sleep! Anyone know the number of a good evening maid that is inexpensive??

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ha! I just did a little post on sleep! Which confirms what I said...if you talk to parents, you'll talk about sleep. I know I'm saying the same things over to you, but it really does get better as they get older. Cori is Amelia in her sleep behavior for the most part. Hang in there. I promise when they are in college, we'll get together and call them at all hours of the night to get back at 'em!

Mollie said...

Hi Beth! I just want to say that I agree with Michelle (and on more than just baby names). It really does get better. It's possible that Cori is teething, or having a growth spurt. Some kids get all out of whack when their little bodies are changing. Amelia got her first tooth at 3 1/2 months, and I think she's been in constant growth spurt since birth! Hand in there!

April said...

I know how you feel Beth! No advice from me, just know you are not alone!

Anonymous said...

Sarah was a terrible sleeper, but we stuck with it. Kept enforcing her crib, kept a regular routine in the evening (the better she napped during the day the better she slept at night - that's still the case) and eventually she got it. She's a great sleeper now, but it took a lot of consistency and patience to get her to this point.

Are you swaddling Cori, do you have white noise in her room, is it dark enough, but not pitch black? Those are all things that worked for us. All you can do is keep trying. Hang in there. It WILL get easier.

Anonymous said...

Beth,
If you ever need help with dinner or even laundry, let me know. I know you live a couple of blocks from me. Since I'm still knocked up and not having the same issues you're having yet, I'd be glad to help you guys out.

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

You aren't alone Beth... If I can ever help you, please just let me know. I'd be happy to come down and do some picking up for you or something if that could help out. Or I could try to entertain Cori while you took you a nap.

Jen said...

ah yes, the cycle never stops. One day is good, bad, good, bad, and you never know what to expect. I can you that there is a book, http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023tell also happiest baby on the block, but that's geared for 0-12 weeks.
Healthy sleep habits does have a lot of useful info in it. I can also tell you that when they start kdg they decide they want to sleep in.