Recently we got some news that threw us for a loop; an old enemy returned and hit closer to home. My father in law Bob (who is THE very best father in law in the world) was diagnosed with leukemia. He was feeling fine. An annual physical and blood work showed that his white blood count was very high. A normal person's WBC (white blood count) is between 4,000 - 9,000. Bob's was 134,000.
That number alone would put him into the moderate to advanced stages. When someones WBC is double what it should be & they are diagnosed with leukemia, they don't do anything. But with numbers this much higher, rounds of chemo are ahead. Fortunately today we got some good news that the CAT scan showed normal lymph nodes.
Bob's specific diagnosis is chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). His prognosis is good once the chemo is completed. We are hopeful and praying none the less. As I mentioned, leukemia is an old enemy. Readers may recall back in 2007 that my friend Karen lost her husband Joe to leukemia. We participated in the Light the Night walk which raised money for leukemia research. I plan to do the same this October.
We appreciate any prayers and good thoughts you can send to Bob. He is doing well physically and mentally right now, but we know the road ahead will be rough. And please let Bob's story be a reminder to you that regular physicals & blood work just may save your life! Please see your doctor!
3 comments:
Oh goodness honey, I'm so sorry that you're all going through this. I'll be praying away for your wonderful FIL. hugs to you all!
i am so sorry. i'll keep him and your family in the light.
What a cute photo. I have been thinking about all of you. Hugs and prayers!
Post a Comment