Right now I'm most down about being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. This is a condition of high blood sugar that occurs only in pregnant women and usually goes away once the baby is born. It's due to the large amount of hormones I'm making now that help the baby grow. The hormones make it hard for insulin to work the way it normally should. Right now my pancreas(which is the organ that makes the insulin) is working 3x as hard as a non-pregnant person's. And it's struggling to keep up. (My fasting glucose level was actually really good.)
So what happens now is that I have to meet with a maternal fetal specialist at Magee who will place me on a very strict diet. Apparently on the menu are a whopping choice of meat, some veggies (gag - pregnancy aversion), peanut butter and string cheese. Kiss everything else good bye. Basically I'm going to starve the last 3 months I'm pregnant. Oh, and I get to prick my finger 4x a day and take my glucose readings and fax them to the Magee specialist who gets to see if I'm"normal" or if I have to go on insulin. Which at this point I'd rather do... I'm used to the shots thanks to IVF and I'd rather give myself a shot than prick my finger 4x a day.
High up second on the list is news we got about my father-in-law. We found out that he can't be around the kids for 6 weeks after they receive a vaccine. Since the vaccine is a live virus, when his white blood count is so low, there is a high chance that he can contract that virus. Thus the 6 week isolation from the kids. Which I understand, and of course I want him to be well and safe. But considering that Ben will get a shot in the hospital, and then at 2 months, and then every month there after (I spread out the shots), this means that grandfather and grandson may not meet for a very long time. Which just makes me sad.The day I found out about the gestational diabetes, I came home to find that the play set that we spent so much money and time trying to assemble... well, thanks to the high winds we had, it blew over and cracked. Time and money aside (which is still hard to swallow) we have so much going on during the upcoming weekends that repairing it and finishing it on our own is out of the question. Thinking about it literally makes me want to cry.
Work has sucked this week, and Cori has been extra whiny. Finances are extra tight. We were hoping drop down to 2 days a week for daycare and now it looks like we may have to jump up to 4 days a week. I'm tired. Scratch that - exhausted. This kid is beating the punching the hell out of me. And I'm experiencing a bunch of other not-so-pleasant pregnancy symptoms that would be TMI for here but they all suck. I can't drink and now chocolate is off the menu. I just feel really low. 

6 comments:
Hugs! Thinking of you...
hang in there! This too shall pass, and when you have your little baby in your arms the rest will seem easier to deal with.
Oh Beth, I'm so sorry. :( that's a lot to take on. Please let me know if I can do anything
so sorry, sweetie. you give such good, clear explanations of things, which is awesome, but that also lets us know how (and why) this stuff just really sucks! big hugs for you. praying for you and ben (and dave and cori, but mostly you) :)
xox
Hugs... I hope you feel better soon.
HUGS. Please let me know what I can do. I will grocery shop, I will clean, I will take Cori for a bit, I will make you dinner (whatever you tell me to make)... anything I can do to make your life easier.
Post a Comment