
In the going greener part #2 - a word about plastics. Have you ever turned over the plastic ware you're using and looked for the number on the bottom? It's important to know what kind of plastic you're using - both for the environment as well as for yourself.
Plastics that are okay to use - 1, 2, 4 & 5
Plastics to stay away from - 3, 6 & 7:
Plastic #3 - PVC. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC or vinyl) can be manufactured to be either rigid or flexible and is identified with the number 3. There are claims that PVC poses serious environmental health threats. According to the Center for Health, Environment, and Justice, the production of PVC requires chemicals like the "highly polluting chlorine," the "cancer-causing" vinyl chloride monomer (VCM), and ethylene dichloride (EDC). They also claim that PVC plastic requires large amounts of toxic additives to make it stable and usable. These additives are released during use and disposal, resulting in "elevated human exposures to phthalates, lead, cadmium, tin, and other toxic chemicals." The FDA acknowledges that the building block of PVC, vinyl chloride, is a human carcinogen. OUCH! Also, as you know, it's never a good idea to heat up food in the microwave with plastic wrap (which is plstic #3) - it releases the chemicals in the plastic into the food. Use a paper towel instead.
Plastic #6 - Polystyrene (PS) can be rigid or foamed. It is most commonly used for protective packaging (for example, foam packaging for furniture, electronics, and other delicate items), food serving packaging (for example, cups, plates, bowls, cutlery, meat and poultry trays, and rigid food containers), bottles, and food containers. It is identified as number 6.
Plastic #7 - Bisphenol A (BPA) is a widely produced chemical used primarily for the production of polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. More than 6 billion pounds of BPA are produced and used each year for this purpose. The use of this chemical is so profound that it was detected in the urine in 93% of the population over 6 years of age. The study did not include anyone under 6 years of age, so the level in their urine is unknown.
The number 7 is considered the "other" category and includes chemicals other than bisphenol A. Nalgene water bottles were made with BPA until recently. They are being voluntarily pulled from the shelves and replaced by bottles that are BPA-free made with a relatively new plastic called Tritan copolyester. Other sources of polycarbonate are food and drink packaging, including infant bottles, toddler sipping cups, tableware, and food containers.
This is the big issue right now - BPA being in baby bottles and such. And I turned over my Nalgene water bottle on Monday and sure enough, it was made from #7. Now, maybe you're thinking it isn't a big deal unless it is heated. Not true. While BPA is released 15 to 55 times faster with the boiling water, other studies show that exposure to sunlight can cause BPA to be released. And if you wash that water bottle in the dishwasher - same thing. But one study found that PBA will leach into water at room temperature!!
Studies done on laboratory rodents have shown that high doses of BPA during pregnancy and lactation can reduce survival, birth weight, and growth of offspring early in life, and delay the onset of puberty. BPA has also been linked to cancer, diabetes, and obesity. It is a hormone disruptor, just like plastic #3 and #6.
A great read can be found here. I recently stopped using my Nalgene bottle and went to Target to purchase a Rubbermaid 32oz water bottle for $3. Not only was it cheaper than my Nalgene bottle, it fits in my cup-holder!
Finally, another number. I'm 36 weeks today, up 35lbs in this pregnancy (OMG!) and dilated 2cm. Let's hope that means I'm on my way soon to Peanut's arrival.
9 comments:
Hey Beth,
Thanks for the knowledge sharing in your last few posts.
The BPA issue is my new obsession. If you're looking for resources for safe baby bottles here's a few good sites:
http://tinyurl.com/38fjmk
http://tinyurl.com/2f9wrh
I sure hope my knowledge sharing doesn't come across as pushy or anything more than what it is at its core - info!
i don't know what any of those numbers at the bottom of the post mean, but i sure did learn something about those numbers on plastic! i'd heard of some of that, but i never knew that nalgene bottles were bad :( boo! now i'm going to have to read the water bottles i have (and the ones i buy). gah!
We are very aware of our green-ness these days, too. Good for you!
I think you will totally have this baby by the weekend. I was 1/2 cm dilated for a week, then 1 1/2 cm for 2 or 3 days, and then I had her. Hope you have the car seat in!!
Totally not pushy IMO... informative!
I've looked into the BPA stuff a lot since we'll have our little one in daycare at 4mo and they likely won't allow glass. Let me know if you're looking into this and any questions or new info comes up.
And just cause I have this info I'll share as well:
- BPA may also be in paci's. Check that safe mama website I linked earlier for an article on safe paci's.
- Stick to glass baby food jars if possible bc the new gerber plastic ones contain #6.
- If you ever FF, watch out for tin baby formula containers that are lined with a #6 plastic.
Okay, I was all for your move to the greener side...until you attacked PVC. PVC! Is Dave aware of your smear campaign on such an important part of our family traditions? Does he need to share with you photos of several hundred pop bottles (how's that for reuse) and the PVC decorations? Where would my Christmas display be without my PVC arches over the driveway or the PVC peace signs on the roof? Just lay off the PVC, sister, or else!
Otherwise, very informative on all the numbers.
Mike - soda pop bottles are actually made with plastic #1, so life is good! As for Christmas decorations, well....
Thanks for the info. Out of disgust over the plastics industry, I'm trying to switch to as much glass as possible.
This is so very random, but have you read or seen anything about Tupperware. I'm addicted to tupperware and will probably cry if I find out it's "bad" plastic.
FWIW, our daycare does allow glass bottles and food containers. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but they swear up and down they've never had a problem. Our daughter is in an in-home daycare that is run like a center (different rooms for different ages etc).
Just thought I'd toss this out there for other daycare moms - at least ask about using glass if that's what you're comfortable with.
Post a Comment