Well, since my Pens are doing so poorly tonight I might as well do something like make a post. (Why is it that all the good TV is on the same night? The Office, Grey's & Lost all with the Pens game #4 going on - gah! Thank goodness for DVR!)
Yesterday's OB appointment yielded some new facts:
almost 3cm dilated
50% effaced
higher blood pressure (154/90, then 139/88 then 132/82)
"traces" of protein in my urine
Increased swelling
The last 3 facts are worrisome to my doctor. They're potential signs of preeclampsia which is a very serious condition. So the doc ordered blood work and urine analysis and an ultrasound (for Sat at 6:45 AM - ugh!!) for more testing. I'll get those results on Wednesday.
I went back today and things were pretty much the same with the blood pressure and urine and bad swelling. But I'd gained 2lbs from yesterday, which is not a good thing. Another sign of pre-e hanging over my head.
So what happens now? Well, first I have to collect my urine for 24 hrs and store it in a big orange Tide looking container. Oh, and it has to be stored in the fridge! Everyone together now - EWWWW!!!!! Then I turn in the urine to the lab and they run tests. Together with my blood work they'll determine if I have preeclampsia.
**IF** I do, they will induce labor right away. That is the only "cure" for preeclampsia. If I'm just exhibiting mild symptoms and not classic ones, they will continue to monitor me and may or may not induce at 39 weeks (end of May).
The induction doesn't scare me. It's the thought of the dreaded magnesium sulfate drip I'd have to be on during labor & delivery and afterwards. This is to prevent seizures which can occur. It pretty much makes you a zombie and takes you out of it in a not so good way. And that isn't how I want to remember (or not remember) Peanut's birth. I guess we'll find out how things look on Wednesday!
5 comments:
My dear Bethie,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that all goes smoothly. If the doctors can make sure that you and baby are safe and healthy then the lovely "Tide" container in the fridge is worth it. Love you!
Oh Beth! Wow. I too will be praying that everything goes smoothly for you and for Peanut. Best wishes to you.
Hi Beth, Hoping your appt's go smoothly. Also, why do you have to be on the Mag? Is that with the induction or something else? That stuff is awful!!
Jen
from IVFC
Hi Beth, Sending you & baby lots of thoughts and prayers.
Dearest Beth,
You are in my continued thoughts and prayers for a safe and healthy delivery. ((((((HUGS))))))
Post a Comment